WordPress.org announced the debut of WordPress 3.8, which introduces a modern new design that the company calls its “most beautiful update yet.” You can download the new release now from WordPress.org/Download (it’s 6.10MB).
Dubbed “Parker” in honor of American jazz saxophonist and composer Charlie Parker, WordPress 3.8 brings a new look to the entire admin dashboard.
The new features are as follows:
- Modern aesthetic: The new WordPress dashboard has a fresh, uncluttered design that embraces clarity and simplicity.
- Clean typography: The Open Sans typeface provides simple, friendly text that is optimized for both desktop and mobile viewing. It’s even open source, just like WordPress.
- Refined contrast: With superior contrast and large, comfortable type, the new design is easy to read and a pleasure to navigate.
- High definition at high speed: WordPress is sharper than ever with new vector-based icons that scale to your screen. By ditching pixels, pages load significantly faster, too.
- Admin color schemes: WordPress now includes eight new admin color schemes, which can be previewed and changed from your Profile page.
- Refined theme management: The new themes screen lets you survey your themes at a glance. Click to add more information, and use your keyboard’s navigation arrows to flip through themes.
- Smoother widget experience: The widgets screen has been streamlined. On large monitors, multiple widget areas stack side-by-side to use the available space while on tablets, just tap a widget to add it.
- Twenty Fourteen: Turn your blog into a magazine with this new theme. Choose a grid or a slider to display featured content on your homepage. Customize your site with three widget areas or change your layout with two page templates.